Back to the diary

Another developed film waited on my desktop to be scanned and uploaded. And here, it is!
For the slider mechanism in the floor, I needed some counter weights. After a long Ebay research, I found quite cheap weight discs for barbells. I ordered them, and I was surprised by their brand name: "Royal beach" was embossed on them. I took this opportunity to leave my name on the construction and painted the "Roy..." on one of those discs in white.


You have seen this part of the construction already in the last videos. The wooden triangles, that I am gluing on the photo below, are one major part of the lifting mechanism of the room.


On this picture, you can see that I've attached one of the triangles to a wall. A wire rope is attached to that triangle. When the motor pulls this rope, it first turns the lower side of the wall into a 90° position - then it will be stopped by another triangle which is mounted on the top part of the wall - and the whole room will be lifted when the rope is pulled further.


For the first lifting tests, I had to attach this cross of wooden slats to the top of the room, due to reasons of static stability. Later, I want to replace them by some small ceiling parts.
The major part of the ceiling will hang from the corners and won't move - but a "ceiling ring" will be attached to the walls. This ring will provide the required stability and it will reflect the light of the hidden fluorescent tubes which are attached on top of the main ceiling.


Lifting the room works - and I can look outside my workshop window again. That's nice.


On the left, you can see some c-clamps. With them, I have glued sheets of HDF on some wood beams. This construction will not only provide the stability for the top frame but also support the hanging ceiling at the end.


When I took this picture, it was obviously ten past ten.


I have no idea, what time it was, when I've taken that picture.


Again, ... no idea how late it was.


During another Ebay shopping session, I found this nice scale. It's name is "Großfischwaage", so its usual purpose seems to be to weigh big fishes. The scale has a limit of 200 kilos, which is perfect for me. Now, I was able to find out how heavy the whole room is. At the moment, the weight of the room is about 110 kilos. It will get slightly heavier, when I attach the ceiling parts as well.


A wider view of the setup, where I placed the scale inside the truss.


After lifting the room for a few times, I found out that the support for the pulleys wasn't strong enough. I added some custom made steel parts to keep them in position. The part below will be mounted on top of the truss, where the motor is inside. It has also a safety steel wire with an emergency off switch. If one of the pulleys would break, or if one of the steel wires would jump off one of those pulleys, it will be catched by the safety line and the emergency switch will be switched automatically.


When I took this picture, it was ten to two.


Slightly later, I took that photo. The winch on the ceiling is from an older project and has nothing to do with the room. But on the wood beam in the back, you can see another pulley support, which prevents the pulley from bending to the left.


And here, in the foreground, is one more pulley support.


Back to the diary


Please note, that the content on this webpage is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 License. Please respect the copyright of other webpages' content, which are linked from this webpage.